Welcome to my Pattern Toolbox short classes, specifically designed for Illustrator pattern makers. In this short, bite-size class we will focus on tips and tricks to make a half-drop repeat pattern!
I will take you through some examples of basic and half-drop repeats and the differences between them. This class shares my method of creating a half-drop repeat (brick by row or brick by column), using both the automated Pattern Tool, as well as the old-fashioned manual way. I will share tips and tricks to design an intricate, consistent repeat tile!
For a detailed, step-by-step process on how to create a seamless repeat pattern, take my class “Repeat Patterns Made Easy, in Illustrator”.
Key lessons include:
- Basic vs. Half-Drop repeat
- How to create an intricate repeat tile
- Using the Pattern Tool to create a brick by row pattern
- Using the Clipping Mask to create a brick by column pattern
- Minimum basic Illustrator (& Photoshop) skills
- Illustrator (Daniela is using CS6)
- This class is part of my short, bite-size classes specifically designed for Illustrator pattern makers.
Never though creating patterns would be so fun.. Thanks for the class.
Daniella provides a lot of useful ideas on how to disguise the repeat unit of a complex pattern, and how to do it simply. The end result is a free all-over polychromatic pattern of abstract elements that looks seamless.